Most homeowners are well aware of the significant investment in their heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems. Thus, maintaining these systems and ensuring their longevity is of the utmost importance. While some issues with your HVAC system may require professional attention from a company like Crossville Heating & Cooling, there are several do-it-yourself (DIY) tips that you can follow to help keep your system working efficiently.
- Schedule Regular Maintenance: Regular preventive maintenance is key to keeping your HVAC system operating at peak efficiency. It’s recommended to schedule a professional HVAC check-up at least once a year, ideally during the spring for your cooling system and the fall for your heating system.
- Change Your Air Filters Regularly: You should consider replacing your air filters every 1-3 months, depending on use and the type of filter you use. A dirty filter can restrict airflow and make your system work harder, which can lead to increased energy costs and a shorter system life.
- Keep Your Outdoor Units Free of Debris: Your outdoor units are at risk of being clogged or damaged by leaves, grass, dust, and other debris. Regularly clean the area around your outdoor units to ensure they can ‘breathe’ easily.
- Seal Your Heating and Cooling Ducts: Ductwork that is poorly sealed or insulated can significantly increase your energy bills. To improve your system’s efficiency, consider sealing and insulating your ductwork. Inspect the ductwork for any visible holes and use a sealant or metal-foil tape to seal any leaks. Then wrap the ducts in insulation to keep them from getting too cold in the winter or too hot in the summer.
- Ensure Indoor Vents are Unobstructed: Furniture, rugs, or curtains should not block your indoor vents. Also, dust and vacuum them regularly to ensure they are kept clean and can effectively distribute air throughout your home.
- Invest in a Programmable Thermostat: Programmable thermostats can automatically adjust the temperature in your home based on your schedule, which can lead to significant energy savings over time.
These simple yet effective DIY tips can be handy in maintaining the well-being of your essential HVAC system. However, for some aspects that are beyond your DIY abilities, reaching out to a professional service like Crossville Heating & Cooling may prove to be valuable in the long run. Being proactive about the maintenance of your HVAC system will not only ensure a comfortable home environment, but it will also save you money in the long-term by prolonging your HVAC system’s lifespan.